Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dating The Fella With The Felony

If you are a black woman who dates black men, it is likely that you have dated a felon. Heck, you may have dated a guy who served hard time for a crime.

This takes me back to a funeral that I attended. The deceased had a criminal past and many of the guys in attendance at the funeral had criminal pasts.

But ooooooweeeee, those felons, past criminals, convicted felons or whatever you wanna call them were looking gooooood!

Don't judge me I was at a funeral. I wasn't dead! LOLOL

One had a body and a beard. I think I may have howled at the moon.

He had a caramel complexion and was dressed very nice. He was very, very, very handsome. Some of the others looked dayuuum good,too. Nice bodies and put together well. Picture perfect....OOOOOOK!

After I came out of the good googly moogly, these guys are fine trance, the words that just had been murmured to me struck accord. "Most of these guys have been in prison."

Earth to the lady in a trance: "Most of these guys have been in prison."

Yea, my gf who was sitting next to me said that way before I noticed every single detail of the caramel complexion fella with the perfect beard and impeccably fashioned outfit.

I can see how a non-criminal could be drawn to such a specimen. And ummm, this man was a fine specimen.

I haven't dated a guy who has spent time in prison but I know plenty of women who have. Some have even gotten married.

Most of these women who are usually established and educated don't seem to need to swallow a snap-out-of-it pill. They seem to be sensible and knowledgeable. They definitely don't appear to be a gullible, head-on-backward type of women.They are just women wanting LOVE and believing they have found it with a guy who just so happens to have a criminal background.

Many of the ladies that I am referring to have ended up being completely disappointed with their felony having boyfriends or husbands. They talked a good talk while in prison but when they got home it was a whole different story. For others, the felony caused great strife when trying to secure employment. And you know how some women feel about romance: No romance without finance. Although I think that there has been a major shift with more women taking care of men than ever before but that's another blog post.

Any who, just about every relationship that I can think of involving a convicted felon has failed -- except one.

This young lady stood by her fella for many years while he served time and when he came home their love story did not skip a beat. It includes two children, a nice home, good jobs, loving family members and friends and vacations. It includes everything that most women want.

Soooo even though a felon may not be the road that I choose to ease on down, this relationship in particular shows that dating the fella with the felony can work -- sometimes.

The more and more I think about it, dating a felon may have similar odds as dating other types of men. I must say, it definitely takes a special type of woman to make those long drives to a prison, put money on books and hold out faith that when he gets home, there will be a happily ever after.

But aren't there a lot of women dating non-felons holding out on faith for a happily ever after?

No comments:

Post a Comment