Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Going Through A Separation, Divorce Ain't Easy

I have a relative who is getting ready to go through a very difficult patch in her life. She is separated from her husband.

When I hear about separation or divorce, my heard goes out...way out to the people involved. Going through a separation or divorce ain't easy. I know!

I remember when one of my gfs gave me a book, "Growing Through Divorce." At first I looked at it and really didn't want to start reading it, but one day I grabbed it and soon read it from cover to cover. It really helped because it put things in perspective and it made me realize that I wasn't the first and will not be the last to experience a divorce.

The book also talked about how EVERYTHING in your life changes. What you used to do, you do not do anymore? Your daily routine changes? Your living situation changes? Your sleeping situation changes? (Ya know some people just like a warm body lying next to them at night.)

My relative told me that she needs help. Those were her exact words, "Help Me!" My eyes grew misty. My heart skipped a beat. I had a few flashbacks of my very own divorce, which I'm not ashamed to say just about broke me. I knew it wasn't a good marriage during the end, but I was hoping that somehow, some way it could be salvaged. The convenant that I made before my family, friends and God was something else that bothered me tremendously. Breaking that vow made me disappointed in myself.

So when my relative said, "Help Me!" I searched my heart on exactly how I could help. I cannot have a very strong opinion one way or the other. That is not my place. All I can say to her is, "Being happy is precious and important." I can also say that "Peace is a wonderful thing."

I know that the divorce rate is over 50 percent and people jump in and out of marriages like it's nothing...can you say Kim Khardasian... but marriage should not be taken lightly -- getting into it or getting out of it.

What is the hardest thing about going through a divorce or (a break-up if you are not married)?

No comments:

Post a Comment