Thursday, April 30, 2009

He Doesn't Like Her Shoes

“Random Thought: If your dude hates when you wear a certain outfit/shoes…would you continue to wear it around him? Or would you change your style to please him?”

I got this text recently from a friend.

I shoot back, “Change it up.”

But then, as always, the wheels in my mind get to spinning.

I wonder if she had on something that he liked when he met her?

Or maybe he should buy her a complete outfit to show her what he would like to see her wear. Or maybe he could suggest going shopping with her the next time.

But how would most women really respond to her boyfriend or special friend if he said the way she dresses is atrocious, so please don’t wear those shoes or those jeans and throw that shirt in the gawbage.

That’s not what I believe my friend would do, but it may fall on his gf’s ears that way and possibly hurt her heart just a little. But should it?

I value honest opinions about the things I wear.

As a matter of fact, this has to be one of the things I truly miss about being married. If I was unsure about an outfit before heading to work, I would tap my ex on the shoulder, turn on the light and ask, “How does this look?”

And if we were heading out for the evening I would pose the question, “What do you think about this?”

Now, I’m just going by what I think. I look myself in the mirror and reassure D.

“That looks good, girl.” Or “Nah, drop that in the pile to give away.”

Anywho.

Doesn’t a person want to be accepted just as they are -- ugly shoes and all?

Interestingly, after I got the text someone told me he really likes red.

“I love a woman in red.”

But really, I don’t wear red.

So if I truly stand by the answer I sent my friend about his friend, then I would incorporate more red into my wardrobe, right?

I have one red pair of pants, a red shirt, a red robe, pants, hooded lounging thingymagig my mom bought me to stay warm and a red shortie and shirt lounging outfit. And oh yea, I have a red blazer in my bag of clothes that need to go to the cleaners.

Because this guy has told me that he likes red, should I rush out to incorporate more red into my wardrobe? After all, he did say he loves a woman in red.

And research has also found that red can boost sex appeal.

A report in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2008 said men were more likely to say they wanted to have sex with a woman and that they would be willing to spend more on a date if she were in red.

I’m rushing out to buy a red dress and then I’m asking to go on my dream vacation to Hawaii. :)

But what are your thoughts about changing how you dress for the man or woman that you are dating?

Post your comments here or e-mail me at choosingmrwrong@gmail.com.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, let me start by saying that you should not change how you dress for your man or woman. What happen to the old saying, "you make the clothes, the clothes don't make you." Hey, if you look a hot mess in a green dress changing the color because your man likes a woman in red doesn't change the mess......what i'm saying is be yourself and if he has a problem with your dress (color) then once again we might be choosing Mr. Wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if your girl told you she didn't like your shoes what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would indulge her in conversation and ask the question, Why? But at the end of the day she doesn't have to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Mr. Fantasy, I'm waiting on more people to weigh in, but I see you aren't interested in a lil compromise LOLOLOLOLO

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't have to change your style to fit anyone. There may be an article of clothing your man/woman may not particularly care for, but that doesn't mean you throw it out or never wear it again. Especially if you like it and YOU like the way you feel in it. I'm all for compromise, but I'm also all for feeling good about me. I may ask the person what style of clothing he/she likes. And depending on the level of the relationship I may try to wear their favorite color/item/etc. when I felt like it. But I would also continue to wear the item that he/she may not care for. Just like you said, are you going to wear red when you don't really like red clothes? Be real! If he/she can't handle that, then once again it's Ms. Wrong/Mr. Wrong. I agree with Mr. Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, I don't think you should change up completely just a few things. And let's face it some things look extra foxy on your significant other. Additionally, I would hope that he would just like my style. :)

    ReplyDelete