Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Emotional Support Is Priceless

A good man is hard to find, but a good man who is emotionally supportive is even harder to find.

As a divorcee, I often think about what is most important to me and recently I had to pay my ex-husband a compliment. I told him that I appreciated the financial support through the years. Of course, of course I appreciated that :)

He was second to none as a provider. Heck, he may have been better than my very own father....nah, that's going a bit too far but he was great in that department.

He constantly looked out for me and was truly the head of the household. We used to tease about him being the CEO and I was the CEO's assistant because I cooked, cleaned and played the traditional wife role superbly if I must say so myself. :)

Any who.

While financial support is a great thing, I am one of those chickypoos who needs emotional support. Yep, my name is Darlene Jeter and I need emotional support and for those people who have problems with critical thinking that does NOT mean that I don't need financial support LOLOLOLOLOL

Losers, Users and Dead Beats did you her that announcement over the intercom? Listen closely.

"Guys who don't want to step up and take your proper role, exit to the rear and to the left. Thank You."

Any who.

A kind word for me is like hitting the jackpot. And wow, a kind word said when a kind word is really needed to get through a difficult time is jicky, jicky jackpot. I need it...period.

Some people are not good or even fair in the emotional support department. I witnessed this recently when a gf's husband was ill. She carried on and on and on just like usual.

For me, I would have stopped, dropped and rolled because I would expect a person to stop, drop and roll for me. You know the Cardinal Rule -- Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You.

But it became clear, really crystal clear, to me that all people do not have the emotional capacity to be emotionally supportive. She certainly didn't that day, but we are going to take a course at the Diggity Institute on Gaining Emotional Capacity. LOLOLOLOL

And what must be stressed is emotional support is not pity. Just say something nice, do something nice when you know a person is going through a difficult patch in life.

Soooooo with that said, the next time your significant other is not feeling well or had a rough day at work, say something danggone nice, go get some ice cream, rub his or her feet and chat, go for a stroll in the park or give a diggity certificate. For goodness sake, show some emotional support.

Do you think you are emotionally supportive? Give an example of when you have been emotionally supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment